8 Cool Facts About Landscaping Stones You Probably Don’t Know
Landscaping stones, garden pebbles, and river rocks…they come in all shapes and colors to accommodate any outdoor setting.
But who knew that these simple garden fixtures had so many benefits besides just looking so darn good in a flowerbed?
In this post, we share 8 cool tips about decorative stones, in case you’re on the fence regarding whether to use them at home.
- Stones are low maintenance! You don’t have to worry about mildew or regular cleaning, think once a year or every few years.
- Garden pebbles are highly durable. Through rain and shine, they won’t lose their shape or luster. They won’t crumble or wear down, either. Pebbles last for years!
- They are non-toxic and natural. Landscaping stones are sourced from rivers and beaches all over the world! They get their smooth surface from gently being tumbled by tides and waves over time.
- Decorative stones are versatile. They can be used for any type of project you can think of. Whether you want to create a garden pebble pathway or even want to paint them with your kids, you can get as creative as you desire.
- Rocks improve drainage. If you have flowerbeds and want to enhance the drainage for less watering, a layer of gravel or small pebbles is the way to go. The pebbles help slow the flow of water, evenly distributing moisture to plants.
- River pebbles prevent weed growth. If you’re not into using toxic chemicals to kill weeds, pebbles are an excellent all-natural alternative. A layer of pebbles makes it difficult for seeds to reach the soil, while also blocking the sun’s rays from reaching the soil, to help seeds sprout.
- There is a stone for every garden. No matter how you plan to decorate your outdoor living area or landscape your garden, there are plenty of pebble colors, patterns, and sizes to choose from.
- Got pests? Place a layer of gravel or pebbles around your flowerbeds to discourage slugs, snails, roaches, ants, and other pests from attacking your plants.